Why are my downloads being handled by IE?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
donaldduck

Why are my downloads being handled by IE?

Post by donaldduck »

I'm using Slimjet. I don't even use IE. I just opened Glary Utilities and CCleaner and both automatically sent me to IE to download the newest version. I want Slimjet to do the download. How do I fix that?

RBTB2605

Re: Why are my downloads being handled by IE?

Post by RBTB2605 »

Make sure that your default browser on your system is Slimjet.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

But the default browser is Slimjet.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

OK, then double check. Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/ and make sure that Slimjet is chosen as the default there.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

RBTB2605 wrote:OK, then double check. Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/ and make sure that Slimjet is chosen as the default there.

OK just did that. Thanks. I didn't even know about that.

I should have mentioned this but there were two programs that I was having the problem with. Those were the ones that were doing it when I posted this anyway. That was update downloads for Glary Utilities and CCleaner, I looked through them both and didn't see any internal setting for which browser to use for downloading. They don't need updates now so I'm not sure how to test if I fixed the problem. Other updates do seem to go through Slimjet. Maybe that is just where they send their updates, but I don't think they used to...

I think I shouldn't even have posted this until sorted things out some more here.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Yeah, that's cool. I am not running Slimjet anymore due to ongoing issues and the fact that it is always behind the current Chrome release by quite a bit. I am rather attached to Chrome 64 bit right now and it performs nicely for me. The advantages of running Slimjet at least for me are no longer relevant the way I have Chrome set up in my system. And there are extensions that are available that do what I need them to do.

Vistaguy

Post by Vistaguy »

donaldduck wrote:...there were two programs that I was having the problem with...update downloads for Glary Utilities and CCleaner...They don't need updates now so I'm not sure how to test if I fixed the problem. Other updates do seem to go through Slimjet...
I don't use Glary Utilities but I use CCleaner Free. My CCleaner is also updated, but I was able to test and confirm your issue by opening CCleaner and clicking Check for updates in the bottom right corner. (In my case it opened Firefox, which was previously my default browser.) I exited CCleaner by right-clicking the system tray icon, then visited control panel/default programs as suggested by RBTB2605, then reopened CCleaner (you can use either Start menu or a Desktop shortcut when the tray icon is absent), and now checking for updates opens Slimjet. (Too bad CCleaner doesn't support Slimjet for browser cleaning. I've been meaning to try adding CCEnhancer to see if it supports Slimjet but haven't got around to it yet. Of course Slimjet has relevant Privacy settings.)

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

donaldduck wrote:
RBTB2605 wrote:OK, then double check. Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/ and make sure that Slimjet is chosen as the default there.

OK just did that. Thanks. I didn't even know about that.

I should have mentioned this but there were two programs that I was having the problem with. Those were the ones that were doing it when I posted this anyway. That was update downloads for Glary Utilities and CCleaner, I looked through them both and didn't see any internal setting for which browser to use for downloading. They don't need updates now so I'm not sure how to test if I fixed the problem. Other updates do seem to go through Slimjet. Maybe that is just where they send their updates, but I don't think they used to...

I think I shouldn't even have posted this until sorted things out some more here.
One last thing for this topic, and a little bit closer to being on topic, is that there are times when a program will reach out deliberately to IE. While this didn't happen in this case, it can and probably will happen in the future after you are thinking you have this resolved. In particular, I find that in many instances when I uninstall a program and the uninstaller takes me to the internet to ask me why, all to often the uninstaller deliberately calls IE into play for that internet questionnaire. This shouldn't happen often as most programs respect the local system user enough to make use of the default browser.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Vistaguy wrote:
donaldduck wrote:...there were two programs that I was having the problem with...update downloads for Glary Utilities and CCleaner...They don't need updates now so I'm not sure how to test if I fixed the problem. Other updates do seem to go through Slimjet...
I don't use Glary Utilities but I use CCleaner Free. My CCleaner is also updated, but I was able to test and confirm your issue by opening CCleaner and clicking Check for updates in the bottom right corner. (In my case it opened Firefox, which was previously my default browser.) I exited CCleaner by right-clicking the system tray icon, then visited control panel/default programs as suggested by RBTB2605, then reopened CCleaner (you can use either Start menu or a Desktop shortcut when the tray icon is absent), and now checking for updates opens Slimjet. (Too bad CCleaner doesn't support Slimjet for browser cleaning. I've been meaning to try adding CCEnhancer to see if it supports Slimjet but haven't got around to it yet. Of course Slimjet has relevant Privacy settings.)
I do not use the internal mechanism in CCleaner to check for updates because I frequent reputable software sites and forms where as soon as a new version is out, it gets posted.

Please see this link as far as how to get CCleaner to recognize Slimjet as Chrome.....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=123

It is easy to set up things so that CCleaner recognizes Slimjet as Chrome. This method works 100% guaranteed when done as instructed. In addition, in the Slimjet settings you must un-check "Continue running background apps when Slimjet is closed". Click on Advance Settings and find this under "System".