Will Slimjet 13 support Vista like 12 does?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
slim.moe

Will Slimjet 13 support Vista like 12 does?

Post by slim.moe »

Since version 12 works very well with Vista (regardless of the unneeded plugins), will 13 work just as well?

cwm4bama

Re: Will Slimjet 13 support Vista like 12 does?

Post by cwm4bama »

Unless something changes the last released version of SJ that supports Vista is Version 11.0.8.0 (based on Chromium 51.0.2704.84).

I also use Vista and after that version was installed I get "No new version available" when I try to update SJ.

If you manually downloaded and installed a later version and it works then you are very lucky...

I'm sticking with Version 11.0.8.0 (based on Chromium 51.0.2704.84)

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

It absolutely works with Vista (aside from plugins which I don't need), so I'm wondering if 13 will work the same way as well.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

slim.moe wrote:Since version 12 works very well with Vista (regardless of the unneeded plugins), will 13 work just as well?
You will need to discover the answer after it is released and you install it.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

oftentired wrote:You will need to discover the answer after it is released and you install it.
Do you know when it'll be released?

dev

Post by dev »

oftentired wrote:
slim.moe wrote:Since version 12 works very well with Vista (regardless of the unneeded plugins), will 13 work just as well?
You will need to discover the answer after it is released and you install it.
best response yet lol

Vistaguy

Post by Vistaguy »

slim.moe wrote:It absolutely works with Vista (aside from plugins which I don't need), so I'm wondering if 13 will work the same way as well.
Flash plugin 23.0.0.185 and Chromium PDF Viewer are also working, although I haven't tried anything from chrome web store. I'm using 12.0.7.0 at the moment. Unfortunately the second paragraph of http://www.slimjet.com/blog/both-xp-and ... 10-branch/ would appear to suggest that the answer to your question is "no."

slim.moe

Post by slim.moe »

Vistaguy wrote:Unfortunately the second paragraph of http://www.slimjet.com/blog/both-xp-and ... 10-branch/ would appear to suggest that the answer to your question is "no."
It doesn't suggest that, since Vista works with 12 (despite what the second paragraph says) it could also work with 13.

Vistaguy

Post by Vistaguy »

cwm4bama wrote:Unless something changes the last released version of SJ that supports Vista is Version 11.0.8.0...
A July 8, 2016 blog entry did mention updates for "the Slimjet 11 branch," but subsequent blog entries indicate that plans have changed because of XP issues with SJ 11. Version 11.0.8.0 (released October 4) "disabled auto-update of flash plugins," so your pepflashplayer.dll must be four months old, and there have been no SJ 11 updates since SJ 12 was released. My only complaint about SJ 12.0.7.0 is that my pepflashplayer.dll is more than one month old now, so which version is better supported?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

The developer posted this in the forum not so long ago
flashpeak wrote:After spending a lot of time trying to get Slimjet 12 compatible with Vista, we have decided to give up on that effort. Although we have managed to get Slimjet 12 to run and browse sites properly under Vista, it is not able to load any plugins under vista, most importantly, the flash plugin. That means you will not be able to watch any videos since Slimjet doesn’t have h.264 codec support on Vista. With the pace the chrome guys at Google is quickly introducing vista-incompatible features and API calls, it will be a losing fight for us to hunt out their changes from the huge code base and find a workaround for each of them.

Therefore, we have decided not to continue Vista support in Slimjet 12. Since it doesn’t make a lot of sense for us to create a separate branch just for Vista users, we have decided to continue both XP and Vista support on the Slimjet 10 branch. Slimjet has the best support of all the legacy features, including Java and NPAPI.

If you are visiting the download page of Slimjet from an XP or Vista PC, you will be automatically redirected to the download page of Slimjet 10. If you do want to try Slimjet 11 or 12 on Vista, you can get it from the Slimjet version archive. Slimjet 11 works just fine on Vista. Slimjet 12 can’t load any pepper plugins on Vista.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11