Keyring Password

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
will-yum

Keyring Password

Post by will-yum »

I've used Slimjet for a few weeks with no issues. Within the past few days, I have started getting a pop-up box each time I launch Slimjet which says: "An application wants to access the keyring default keyring but it is locked..." It wants me to enter a password. I can click "cancel" and continue using Slimjet as usual or click on "continue" to presumably leave it blank, but that provides a warning that if I don't enter a password it will be insecure. Can someone explain what this is all about?

oftentired

Re: Keyring Password

Post by oftentired »

I posted this in response to another similar post the other day. The solution presented in the linked forum did not work for the other user. But the information is interesting and points at Linux rather than Slimjet as the basis for the issue. Perhaps some of the other responses floating around the Linux forums will help you out.
oftentired wrote:This appears to be a Linux OS issue

read the last reply here see if that works out for you
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

will-yum

Re: Keyring Password

Post by will-yum »

Oftentired,
Thanks. I'm using Mate in PCLinuxOS. I checked a setting in it for Startup Applications. There are 3 listed related to Gnome-Keyring. As a non-tech person, I don't know if they are the correct ones or not, but I didn't try to change them.

I would like it if someone could explain, in laymans terms, what Keyring is for and what it does. I get it that has something to do with security. Also, it seems to do it's thing mainly in the background (demon). Some things I've read seem to suggest that there is a user component, but it is unclear if it is for regular users or developers.

I wouldn't care much except for the password thing. Some apparently have resolved the issue of the pop-up by continuing on through without entering a password. But, what about the admonition that doing this will make something unsecure? And, does entering a password just perpetuate the pop-up?

I do like Slimjet, but if I can't get this resolved, I may go back to Firefox or Bluemoon.

Thanks again