Do I give up on Slimjet?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
KenStratton

Do I give up on Slimjet?

Post by KenStratton »

I've been using the portable versions (both 32-bit and 64-bit) of Slimjet since it's development and for some reason since version 11.x.x.x I've been unable to simply extract the contents of the updated portable version and copy it over the older version, like I'd always done in the past.

Issue #1 is that all of my bookmark icons disappear and I've tried many different ways to restore them, but nothing works. All the bookmarks are there, it's the favicons that are gone and all of the bookmarks are displaying the generic icon.

Issue #2 is that when I exit out of the browser, it continues running in the background and I have to use the task manager to kill it, or else I can't get back into it. I've given it a good 5 minutes to close, thinking that it's cleaning the history/cache/etc., but it's still running in the background.

I always make a backup copy of last working version (10.0.7.0) before upgrading, so that if the issues that I mentioned continue, I can resort back to the old version.

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit on an Intel i7 with 16GB of Ram.

Please help! I've loved this browser since it came out, but I'm getting frustrated with trying to keep it updated.

P.S. I also run the portable versions of Google Chrome (and other Chrome-based browsers) and have no issues like I'm having with Slimjet.

P.S.S. 90% of the applications that I run are portable. I use portable applications so that if/when I upgrade my PC every few years, I just simply copy the Portable Apps folder to the new PC and I'm back in business.

KenStratton

Re: Do I give up on Slimjet?

Post by KenStratton »

Oh yeah...

Issue #3 is that I lose all of my zoom levels.

I'm sure there's more issues, but those three are driving me bonkers!

dev

Post by dev »

Any chance you have a backup of your user data folder as these files Favicons and Favicons-journal will restore your icons tho sometimes due a corrupt profile they reset each time you close the browser down.

Again any chance you have the continue running background apps when slimjet is closed setting ticked ?

When you extract the portable is it being extracted to your default location of the previous version ?

KenStratton

Post by KenStratton »

Yes, I keep a backup of the entire folder that the portable version is in, including the User Data folder. I always backup the folder before attempting to upgrade.

No, I do not have "Allow background apps to continue running..." checked off.

After downloading the new portable version of Slimjet, I extract it to a folder in my Downloads folder and then open the new Slimjet folder and inspect it's contents. Once in there, I Select All, Cut, and then Paste into my existing Portable Slimjet folder, over-writing the old version. My User Data folder isn't touched.

I've been doing this all along, but ran into the issues beginning with version 11.x.x.x and continue resorting to my backup of version 10.0.7.0. :(

KenStratton

Post by KenStratton »

SOLVED! I had to disconnect my Google account and clear all data from Portable Slimjet (both the 32 and 64-bit versions) and let Slimjet reset everything. After that, I just logged into Google again and let all the extensions and bookmarks (and their favicons) sync again. The only thing I lost was my custom zoom levels for individual websites.