Background tabs "sleeping"?

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
sjtex100

Background tabs "sleeping"?

Post by sjtex100 »

I have several websites that I log into that self-refresh and keep me logged in. When I use Firefox or IE to view these sites and navigate to new tabs (so the logged in sites are on tabs that don't have the focus) I stay logged in and the sites are current when I switch to the tab, even hours later.

Using Slimjet, it appears that the tabs that don't have the focus get suspended after some period of time, and when I click on a tab I haven't viewed in a while (hours?) the page is blank and I'm forced back to the login page. I've disabled both Memory Management settings, but no luck. Is there another setting I can change to keep tabs without the focus active?

oftentired

Re: Background tabs "sleeping"?

Post by oftentired »

Try this

open these specific tabs you refer to in a single instance of Slimjet as you perhaps normally would.

Now right click any Tab and set the Auto reload all tabs... for a period that would mimic the reload time that you think would work best for your open webpages. Do this with the expectation that the reload request from the webpages themselves will not be processed for any but the single active tab which naturally will exist from amongst the open tabs. So, possibly you may want to chose to open one page that is not expected to refresh and leave that as the active tab (after setting Auto reload all tabs you can go back and right click this active tab and shut off the auto reload for it).

For testing purposes, do not use this instance of Slimjet for any of your other "normal" browsing. Instead open a new instance for all other browsing so that the test can be conducted without possibility of accidental change to the parameters.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

sjtex100

Post by sjtex100 »

Sorry for the delay - needed an overnight test to be sure...

If I set all tabs to auto-reload every 120 and leave the tab with focus on a blank page, then all the other tabs continue to work as they do in other browsers, i.e. I don't get logged out of the sites. So is that my only option to prevent Slimjet from ignoring activity on non-active tabs?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Based on your test this appears to be so.

I have not looked into this that much for my own use. I do not make use of sites that auto refresh. Well, at least not for that aspect of the site.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11