I have a friend with questions....

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
RBTB2605

I have a friend with questions....

Post by RBTB2605 »

In the course of promoting Slimjet and letting people know about it, I have encountered comments such as it is "spyware" ( LOL...we know that it isn't) , adware, and the latest is that it is "calling home". I am attaching a couple of screen shots that somebody posted elsewhere that purport to show how Slimjet is calling home. I explained to this person that number 1.) If you are logged into your Google account (like I am) to sync with your phone, then yes, whatever you are syncing goes through the Google servers, etc. Also I told him that if certain items in Slimjet's Privacy settings are checked, that yes, you may not be totally private in what you do on Slimjet. Well here are the screenshots. Any comments ?

oftentired

Re: I have a friend with questions....

Post by oftentired »

Well, the Slimjet developers have stripped the known phone home stuff that comes with google chrome from the Blink engine that they work with when they wrap the Slimjet features around it.

It is possible something remains behind that they cannot see or perhaps cannot get rid of. I think they would say something about it if they knew of it and it posed an actual threat to data privacy.

Another possibility is that the phone home is a program other than Slimjet making use of the browser as a vehicle for the activity.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

paul1149

Post by paul1149 »

There's no way that i personally have the time or interest to definitively nail down everything SJ does behind the scenes. I believe, though, that the privacy warriors - of which there are many - do, and would let it be known loud and clear if SJ were cheating. And if that were to happen, you could kiss goodbye to Flashpeak. The internet has a long memory.

Ultimately, I think that is our greatest assurance that SJ is playing by the rules.

dev

Post by dev »

Unless you're behind a good vpn who don't store any logs, any browser will and do leak info

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

Um, yes Slimjet does get flagged down by Windows Firewall and sometimes different AV's. Now I can understand why the known popular AV's do it, but Windows Firewall I can not?

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

more seriously, I would disable all extensions and see if it still has the same firewall alert, it could be as simple as an extension phoning home for an update check
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11