Help Slimjet Grow

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
dev

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by dev »

LimboSlam wrote:How about oldapps? Though I don't know how to get in touch with them.

Link: http://www.oldapps.com/
http://www.oldapps.com/contact.php

skribboth

Post by skribboth »

I think you guys at Flashpeak should realize that Slimjet will never be a large competitor to the main browsers. The only reason I know about Slimjet is because I searched for a chromium fork, and tried like 6 different forks.

So, you should focus on marketing to the Chrome "geekbase" i.e the ones who even know what Chromium is. This is only my perspective at the moment, of course :)

Slimjet is really nice feature wise, but the look is very outdated. I actually went back to chrome now because I can sacrifice more settings for better look, well, trying to anyway ;)

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

I agree that Slimjet should focus more on a particular niche.

The Chrome geekbase is a good choice. The problem is where to find these guys.

As far as the look is concerned, neither Chrome or Slimjet looks stunning. We meant to look plain and simple. The only difference between them is square-rectangular tabs and slope-edge tabs. I can't really say which tab style is more modern than the other. When firefox adopted slope-edge tabs to be more like Chrome, it angered many existing firefox users. I guess it's more a matter of personal preference.

With that said, we are going to put together a couple of pre-installed themes to satisfy the taste of different users later on.
skribboth wrote:I think you guys at Flashpeak should realize that Slimjet will never be a large competitor to the main browsers. The only reason I know about Slimjet is because I searched for a chromium fork, and tried like 6 different forks.

So, you should focus on marketing to the Chrome "geekbase" i.e the ones who even know what Chromium is. This is only my perspective at the moment, of course :)

Slimjet is really nice feature wise, but the look is very outdated. I actually went back to chrome now because I can sacrifice more settings for better look, well, trying to anyway ;)
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev

Post by dev »

flashpeak wrote:I agree that Slimjet should focus more on a particular niche.

The Chrome geekbase is a good choice. The problem is where to find these guys.

As far as the look is concerned, neither Chrome or Slimjet looks stunning. We meant to look plain and simple. The only difference between them is square-rectangular tabs and slope-edge tabs. I can't really say which tab style is more modern than the other. When firefox adopted slope-edge tabs to be more like Chrome, it angered many existing firefox users. I guess it's more a matter of personal preference.

With that said, we are going to put together a couple of pre-installed themes to satisfy the taste of different users later on.
skribboth wrote:I think you guys at Flashpeak should realize that Slimjet will never be a large competitor to the main browsers. The only reason I know about Slimjet is because I searched for a chromium fork, and tried like 6 different forks.

Firefox with addons can change from squared to sloped looking tho where we cannot in slimjet but looks like your going to address that :)

I would expect geeks to be on most of the sites covered in this thread so pretty well covered there, dropping a link to slmjet on outdated and abandoned browsers forums could get some users over here, that's how i learned about you (just don't spam there)

r.purnama83

Post by r.purnama83 »

In my mind, there are several things that should be added/ improved in SlimJet:
1) Stability when running on slow internet connection.
2) Stability and Performance on SlimJet's download manager.
3) The capability to download audio/ video content from such source like Youtube.

It is good to look Spark Web Browser from Baidu.

dev

Post by dev »

Trouble with Spark Web Browser/Baidu Spark Browser is lack of forums and a phasing out of the bookmark toolbar.

r.purnama83

Post by r.purnama83 »

dev wrote:Trouble with Spark Web Browser/Baidu Spark Browser is lack of forums and a phasing out of the bookmark toolbar.
So, here we can adopt some features that make Baidu Spark popular, and remove those one that make Baidu Spark looks bad.
I love SlimJet, it's interface so simple but intuitive. I hope SlimJet will become an alternative powerful web browser.

dev

Post by dev »

r.purnama83 wrote:
dev wrote:Trouble with Spark Web Browser/Baidu Spark Browser is lack of forums and a phasing out of the bookmark toolbar.
So, here we can adopt some features that make Baidu Spark popular, and remove those one that make Baidu Spark looks bad.
I love SlimJet, it's interface so simple but intuitive. I hope SlimJet will become an alternative powerful web browser.
Which features?

r.purnama83

Post by r.purnama83 »

dev wrote:Which features?
Based on my experience:
  1. Slimjet is running slow --even unstable-- on slow network. Most user don't care how difficult the codes are; they just want to surfing and browsing quickly on any network situation. Hence, this is the chance for web browser developer to win the "competition" among competitors.
  2. Slimjet's built in download manager seems not designed to run on accelerated speed. There are many download managers that can speed download progress up to hundreds percent, but those tools are separated to web browser; in other word: user must install particular tools to fit up their needs. Slimjet should improve it's built in download manager so its capability and performance similar to external download manager (i.e resume capability, split one file into several parts, etc).
  3. Slimjet capability to download audio/ video content is poor. The size of audio/ video file, in general, is about tenth MB or above. This means that the downloader should be designed to be smart and can run faster than usual in order to get the file.
My point is Slimjet must be "low profile but high performance".

emusings

Post by emusings »

The website needs a visual cleanup. Something like http://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/ or better Opera.com -- overall focus on LESS is MORE :)

Right now your website looks terrible on a mobile browser. Everything is displayed but lots of zooming is needed to make it readable. I realize SlimJet is targeted at the Windows desktop PC market, but a mobile unfriendly website doesn't do you any favors!

As for browser design, look at Opera and Safari (now also based on Chromium).

IMHO, Slimjet scores on integrated features over Chrome where most need a 4rd-party add-in.

Highlight the Slimjet password manager which is way better than even Firefox (which is next best). Firefox often trips when saving passwords on https links.

Target the existing Chrome browser base (I also found Slimjet when looking for Chrome forks). Add a comparative table to show how Slimjet's better than Chrome. If there are areas where Chrome does better, include these as well to convey lack of bias.