Help Slimjet Grow

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Help Slimjet Grow

Post by flashpeak » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 pm

There is only a small team of developers behind of the Slimjet project. While we and many of our users believe Slimjet is a great product, the amount of attention we have been getting is very little. Unlike big companies, we have very little resource to do paid advertising for Slimjet. The team members here are experienced developers but amateur marketers. Therefore, we can use every bit of help available to spread the words around about Slimjet.

Here is a list of websites that we would like to get Slimjet listed or reviewed together with the contact information of their editors. If you can help write an email to their editors recommending Slimjet on behalf of a happy user, that would be very helpful. Different users mentioning it multiple times would be better since it increases the chance of voice getting heard.

1. Gizmo's Freeware Best Web Browser list: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... rowser.htm
contact: http://www.techsupportalert.com/contact

2. http://www.lifehacker.com (technology blog)
contact: tips@lifehacker.com

3. Top ten internet browser view: http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/
contact: Frank L. Parks
Requests Coordinator
Top Ten Reviews
fparks@toptenreviews.com

4. http://www.pcworld.com
Email: reviews@pcworld.com

5. http://www.chip.de (German site)
Contact: http://www.chip.de/cxo/Ihre-Meinung-ist ... 97051.html

If you know any other popular web site on which Slimjet deserves a listing, feel free to mention it.

It'll also be helpful if you can post fair reviews of Slimjet on your favorite software download site:

1. download.com listing: http://download.cnet.com/Slimjet/3000-2 ... 68577.html
2. softpedia.com: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/B ... mjet.shtml
3. majorgeeks.com: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/slimjet.html

If you have other great ideas regarding how to help Slimjet grow stronger and more popular, feel free to bring them up in this thread or email us via support @ flashpeak.com
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by dev » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:45 pm

http://alternativeto.net/software/slimjet-web-browser/ sign up/login and tick like

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/contact/ slimboat is already there http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... b-browser/

http://www.howtogeek.com/contact/

http://www.neowin.net/contact/

If you have facebook, twitter google+ etc post a link in your feed every so often. Any forums you visit (i.e steam community etc) check if there a section you could mention slimjet or if not have a link in your signature/banner in forums that you regularly use.
Its worth mentioning Not to spam any sites etc because that will reflect badly on flashpeak.

To the developers. On your homepage its has "fast and reliable like chrome" it would be better if it had "A Fast and reliable alternative to Chrome", i say this because most other chromium based browsers are found this way, people search google for alternatives to chrome or chrome alternatives.
I think most people also search for alternatives to chrome because of privacy issues that google have with chrome so most other chromium based browsers , Comodo Dragon, SRWare Iron etc plug this fear that people have with chrome to the max. You do not mention this enough on your homepage that slimjet does not send any info to google or anything similar to that effect. To me if you plugged that information to search indexers, crawlers, bots etc it would for certain or a least push slimjet higher up in peoples search results.

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by flashpeak » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks a lot for the additional links. I will check them out.
As for the statement on the homepage, I was trying to staying close to the truth. Slimjet isn't faster or more reliable than Chrome. But we do beat Chrome in terms of features and flexibility.
As for the privacy issue, I agree that we need find a better way to emphasize it.

As for the forum posting, I barely have enough time to answer the questions posted on this forum. I wouldn't be able to make a lot of posts in other forums. And as you said, you can easily get banned.
dev wrote:http://alternativeto.net/software/slimjet-web-browser/ sign up/login and tick like

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/contact/ slimboat is already there http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... b-browser/

http://www.howtogeek.com/contact/

http://www.neowin.net/contact/

If you have facebook, twitter google+ etc post a link in your feed every so often. Any forums you visit (i.e steam community etc) check if there a section you could mention slimjet or if not have a link in your signature/banner in forums that you regularly use.
Its worth mentioning Not to spam any sites etc because that will reflect badly on flashpeak.

To the developers. On your homepage its has "fast and reliable like chrome" it would be better if it had "A Fast and reliable alternative to Chrome", i say this because most other chromium based browsers are found this way, people search google for alternatives to chrome or chrome alternatives.
I think most people also search for alternatives to chrome because of privacy issues that google have with chrome so most other chromium based browsers , Comodo Dragon, SRWare Iron etc plug this fear that people have with chrome to the max. You do not mention this enough on your homepage that slimjet does not send any info to google or anything similar to that effect. To me if you plugged that information to search indexers, crawlers, bots etc it would for certain or a least push slimjet higher up in peoples search results.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by dev » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:00 pm

No problem for the links as to The forum postings it was more a tip for other users like me than you the developers. i should have said that really in the post so my bad. As to The homepage statement you wouldn't be saying it was faster or more reliable by just changing "like chrome" to "A alternate to chrome" really, the statement "like chrome" to me is too weak. I don't like to knock other people's work and I'm not knocking the homepage but try this statement "A True alternate to chrome, more powerful and flexible. Has options that all chrome users can only dream about".

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by flashpeak » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm

How about "Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy".

However, there is a weakness to the comparison to Chrome at all. It wouldn't make a good statement for IE or Firefox users.

dev wrote:No problem for the links as to The forum postings it was more a tip for other users like me than you the developers. i should have said that really in the post so my bad. As to The homepage statement you wouldn't be saying it was faster or more reliable by just changing "like chrome" to "A alternate to chrome" really, the statement "like chrome" to me is too weak. I don't like to knock other people's work and I'm not knocking the homepage but try this statement "A True alternate to chrome, more powerful and flexible. Has options that all chrome users can only dream about".
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by dev » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:41 pm

flashpeak wrote:How about "Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy".

However, there is a weakness to the comparison to Chrome at all. It wouldn't make a good statement for IE or Firefox users.

dev wrote:No problem for the links as to The forum postings it was more a tip for other users like me than you the developers. i should have said that really in the post so my bad. As to The homepage statement you wouldn't be saying it was faster or more reliable by just changing "like chrome" to "A alternate to chrome" really, the statement "like chrome" to me is too weak. I don't like to knock other people's work and I'm not knocking the homepage but try this statement "A True alternate to chrome, more powerful and flexible. Has options that all chrome users can only dream about".
"Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy" sounds good to me. It covers all what slimjet is and does in a bold clear way.

I can see the point in chrome only being mentioned so how about "Powerful alternative to the mainstream browsers, better privacy than chrome, customization like firefox, faster than IE" or something similar along those lines. You could mention its a English and not a Chinese developed browser, now I'm not knocking the Chinese based ones (i used chrome+/coolnovo for years) but its nice to have a forum and support i can actually read without any dodgy translations.

You could also point out that slimjet is updated in line with chrome/chromium its one of the main reasons i use slimjet and not use iron or comodo. A big statement on how you listen to what your user base wants in the browser, something like "Have your say" "We listen to our users not just implement wholesome changes without giving you a choice"

flashpeak
Site Admin
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by flashpeak » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:50 pm

"Powerful alternative to the mainstream browsers, better privacy than chrome, customization like firefox, faster than IE" sounds a little too long to be used as head line. It is more suitable to used inside a longer passage.

We have indicated that we are based in Austin, Texas on our homepage in the company information page. However, we do have team members from China as well. And we strive to serve the needs of users from around the globe. But the support channel is mostly for English users, though.

I am aware of CoolNovo as well. But they have stopped updating for a few years now. There are a few other Chromium-based browsers from China as well. But they mostly focus on users within mainland China for the time being.
dev wrote:
flashpeak wrote:How about "Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy".

However, there is a weakness to the comparison to Chrome at all. It wouldn't make a good statement for IE or Firefox users.

dev wrote:No problem for the links as to The forum postings it was more a tip for other users like me than you the developers. i should have said that really in the post so my bad. As to The homepage statement you wouldn't be saying it was faster or more reliable by just changing "like chrome" to "A alternate to chrome" really, the statement "like chrome" to me is too weak. I don't like to knock other people's work and I'm not knocking the homepage but try this statement "A True alternate to chrome, more powerful and flexible. Has options that all chrome users can only dream about".
"Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy" sounds good to me. It covers all what slimjet is and does in a bold clear way.

I can see the point in chrome only being mentioned so how about "Powerful alternative to the mainstream browsers, better privacy than chrome, customization like firefox, faster than IE" or something similar along those lines. You could mention its a English and not a Chinese developed browser, now I'm not knocking the Chinese based ones (i used chrome+/coolnovo for years) but its nice to have a forum and support i can actually read without any dodgy translations.

You could also point out that slimjet is updated in line with chrome/chromium its one of the main reasons i use slimjet and not use iron or comodo. A big statement on how you listen to what your user base wants in the browser, something like "Have your say" "We listen to our users not just implement wholesome changes without giving you a choice"
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

dev
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by dev » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Just break the statement up to fit the homepage, it doesn't have to be one long sentence with the aid of a graphical interface that a webpage provides. The main statement on the left
" Powerful alternative to the mainstream browsers" then " better privacy than chrome" above the jet, " customization like firefox" below the jet, "faster than IE" to the left of the jet.

I think the main two browsers used in the Asian market are both trident based, IE and 360 which has to be used in educational facilities because its required by Chinese law to use 360 Antivirus which is shipped with 360 browser, so maybe push your chromium based product in that market more so if you have links there.
My main problem with Chinese based browsers is that and its my bad that I cannot read the language so I'm not sure what exactly I'm getting by installing their software and i think many other English internet users think the same, I've actually seen it mentioned here in the forum. I understand you want a global market but in the short term I would concentrate on the American/European market to build up the user base.

Slimjet is very similar to what coolnovo was so i imagine there is quite a few ex coolnovo users here or using slimjet but i can only say why i used coolnovo in the first place was and its the two things mentioned on their featured page Security and Privacy and they had a separate Chinese and English forums. So something to think about if you want a global market maybe.

Btw thanks for the responses, it says a lot about a company which listens and interacts with the users to the extent you do.

User avatar
paul1149
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by paul1149 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:31 am

flashpeak wrote:How about "Powerful and flexible alternative to Chrome, centered around your privacy".

However, there is a weakness to the comparison to Chrome at all. It wouldn't make a good statement for IE or Firefox users.
I would simply drop the Chrome reference. You're right that you don't want to associate the browser with, or limit it to, Chrome in the minds of the public. Then you can give further details in a following blurb.

"Powerful and flexible browser alternative, centered around your privacy"

I contacted filehippo with this note:
Please consider the Slimjet browser. Made by Flashpeak, it's an alternative that stresses privacy and security, with the goal of being feature-rich. They are doing a great job for a small house, but lack marketing power. http://www.slimjet.com

A happy user,
Blessings,
Paul

LimboSlam
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 am

Re: Help Slimjet Grow

Post by LimboSlam » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:13 pm

How about oldapps? Though I don't know how to get in touch with them.

Link: http://www.oldapps.com/

Post Reply