Possible suggestion.

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
technoram

Possible suggestion.

Post by technoram »

I love Slimjet, it's a great browser - faster than anything I've used, and has features that are useful to me.

However, I'm not a fan of the name of it. I would suggest something more mature for a name, more professional maybe. I also would like to suggest better icon design, and a unique flat design of the overall layout. I'm willing to help with that part for free, if you guys need it. I have extensive knowledge in graphic design. I use to own my own design company but have decided that it's more fun to not have deadlines and just do it for fun, no money. So I offer my services for free on projects I have interest in, and that shouldn't take long to do.

I hope my suggestions and offer are at least considered. Even if I don't get to help with the project, I hope my words will help move it in a more professional direction. I just think a project that is so well done so far, deserves a better presentation than what it has currently.

Regards,
technoram

jeffhere

Re: Possible suggestion.

Post by jeffhere »

I think "Slimjet" is a fine name, nicely rolls off the tongue...why don't you like it? Let's get the built in 'mouse gestures', 'closed tab retains history' and 'right click close tab' for it to be a great browser! :D

flashpeak
Site Admin

Post by flashpeak »

Thanks for your suggestions and offering to help.
As for the brand name, we have a line of browser products with the name Slimxxxx. So we would like to make it consistent within the product family. Slimjet conveys the idea of a nimble and fast jet plane. That isn't really a bad name, at least better than Chrome.

As for the logo or toolbar icons, you can feel free to contribute your own design. If I and other users am convinced your design is a better choice, we can use your design. I know flat is the trend these days. Being flat is easy. Being flat and beautiful is more difficult.
technoram wrote:I love Slimjet, it's a great browser - faster than anything I've used, and has features that are useful to me.

However, I'm not a fan of the name of it. I would suggest something more mature for a name, more professional maybe. I also would like to suggest better icon design, and a unique flat design of the overall layout. I'm willing to help with that part for free, if you guys need it. I have extensive knowledge in graphic design. I use to own my own design company but have decided that it's more fun to not have deadlines and just do it for fun, no money. So I offer my services for free on projects I have interest in, and that shouldn't take long to do.

I hope my suggestions and offer are at least considered. Even if I don't get to help with the project, I hope my words will help move it in a more professional direction. I just think a project that is so well done so far, deserves a better presentation than what it has currently.

Regards,
technoram
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

technoram

Post by technoram »

Well Slimjet isn't a bad name per say. I just personally think it's a little immature for a name. It sounds like a toy from back when I was a boy. (I didn't intend for that to rhyme lol).

I still honestly consider Slimjet to be the best browser I've ever used, and I've used a lot of browsers over the years.

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

The name "Slimjet" is fine with me. But I do agree that the design can use some more polish to it. Can you tells what you have in mind?

technoram

Post by technoram »

Yes. I personally think that a flat, clean yet stylized design is the way to go, but using a unique layout direction. No browsers really do that, they usually follow the same 'general' form factor that other browser designs are using. I find that rather boring, and uncreative.

dev

Post by dev »

Perhaps do the toolbar icons too as i suggested here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102