XP support will be dropped in Slimjet 12

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
flashpeak
Site Admin

XP support will be dropped in Slimjet 12

Post by flashpeak »

We managed to support Windows XP in Slimjet 11 with significant efforts invested. However, based on the way the Chrome team has been quickly introducing more and more XP-incompatible code into the Chromium code base, it doesn't make sense for us to spend a lot of time every time to find every little changes and undo them in order to support XP. Therefore, we have decided to stop supporting XP when we migrate to Slimjet 12 running on Chromium 52.

XP users can continue to download Slimjet 11 from the early version archive. If there is a critical security issue with Slimjet 11, we will update it into the Slimjet 11 branch.

As for Vista support, based on the current estimate, supporting Vista takes much less effort. However, I guess much fewer people use Vista anyway.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

palikacska

Re: XP support will be dropped in Slimjet 12

Post by palikacska »

I'm really sorry to hear that, however then please make SlimJet 10 or 11 a feature-frozen LTS (long term support) version with only bug and security fixes applied. Even a 3-year-old Chrome can display most websites correctly, so it would be good for years. Security updates mean the most vital part which I think are not the XP-incompatible parts.

paul1149

Re: XP support will be dropped in Slimjet 12

Post by paul1149 »

Very decent policy, considering the situation. Sorry to see it, for the sake of a lot of older laptops. Conversion to Linux becomes even more advantageous.