Both VP8 and H.264 are still unavailable under Win XP!

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
palikacska

Both VP8 and H.264 are still unavailable under Win XP!

Post by palikacska »

I'm so glad and thankful that you continue the support for Windows XP on the first place.

Nevertheless, I'm begging you to provide me a simple way of HTML5 playback of WebM VP8 and H.264. I don't want Flash Player playing YouTube videos. It is slow! Also I don't want to use outdated Chrome for just YouTube. I would like to use SlimJet for everything and get rid of my outdated Chrome.

Whenever I go to YouTube, it loads videos with Adobe Flash Player.

When I check the HTML5 support page, https://www.youtube.com/html5 ... it shows me this.
nag.png
Please fix this, maybe in the next release. It is okay for me if I need to copy an FFMpeg DLL into a directory manually, but I would like to get rid of Flash Player for online videos.

flashpeak
Site Admin

Re: Both VP8 and H.264 are still unavailable under Win XP!

Post by flashpeak »

Adding h.264 support in XP is impossible since h.264 codec is not available in Windows XP. I am not exactly sure why VP8 is missing as well in XP. I can take a look at that one.
Stephen Cheng
FlashPeak Inc.

cwm4bama

Post by cwm4bama »

You would be wise to install Flashblock in Slimjet...it stops all Flash modules from loading and playing until, or unless, you authorize it by clicking the place holder displayed with the "F' symbol and saying click here to view..

Works great with Slimjet... :idea:

palikacska

Post by palikacska »

cwm4bama, I know about that. However if I disable Flash, then YouTube videos won't play at all (since HTML5 video playing is broken as there is neither VP8 nor H.264).
flashpeak wrote:Adding h.264 support in XP is impossible since h.264 codec is not available in Windows XP. I am not exactly sure why VP8 is missing as well in XP. I can take a look at that one.
This is hard to believe. Google can add its H.264 into Chrome (on XP) and also there are many ports of FFMpeg, LibAVcodec, etc. that can decode H.264 under Windows XP. Why would it be impossible?

cwm4bama

Post by cwm4bama »

To palikacska

That's how Flashblock works, it blocks all Flash activity unless you enable it by clicking on the "F" placeholder.

I view youtube videos all the time just by clicking the Flash OK symbol in upper-left corner of the placeholder, the video then loads and plays..

TryKindness

Post by TryKindness »

palikacska wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:08 pm
This is hard to believe. Google can add its H.264 into Chrome (on XP) and also there are many ports of FFMpeg, LibAVcodec, etc. that can decode H.264 under Windows XP. Why would it be impossible?
flashpeak was referring to the fact that XP itself doesn't provide the support to play web H.264 content.
Playing H.264 web content in XP is indeed completely possible and many browsers already do it, but those browsers accomplish this using plugins/files/components that are included with the browser.
I'm guessing Slimjet doesn't include any such thing because they're worried about license violations.