'protect you and your device from dangerous sites' setting

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
parityis

'protect you and your device from dangerous sites' setting

Post by parityis »

I assume the 'protect you and your device from dangerous sites' setting in Slimjet privacy settings works the same way as the chrome 'Enable phishing and malware protection' setting.

From what I've read up to now, it works by sending the URL of the website you are attempting to access to google, where it is checked against a list of 'bad' websites. See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=219#p1134
Google maintains a list of websites that may put you at risk for malware or phishing plus Google analyses website content and warns you if a site seems dangerous. The main problem with it, is your privacy with having it enabled because its one of those settings that send your browsing habits, data back to google and that to me is the best reason to disable it.
As to duplicate protection you will probably find that if your Av has protection for phishing (Some Av's don't) that its the same list that Google use.
To me its your Av solution that should stop these attacks, that its job. Not some settings in a browser which for the main part throws up more false positives and then in turn slows down the browser.
So far so good, however, read your FAQ at: http://www.slimjet.com/en/faq.php and it says this:
Q: Will Slimjet have the same privacy issues as Chrome, such as sending data to Google?

Slimjet doesn't send any data to Google's servers if you don't sync your bookmarks and other data with your google account.
The answer above is not necessarily correct, because, in order to prevent data being sent to google servers we have to manually turn off the 'protect you and your device from dangerous sites' setting in Slimjet Privacy settings (it comes turned on by default).
////*** I used to use MS windows, then I made the switch. Now I always have hair on my head. ***////

cwm4bama

Re: 'protect you and your device from dangerous sites' setti

Post by cwm4bama »

I also recommend installing the browser extension WOT (web of trust) and ABP (ad block plus) and if your ISP has bandwidth limits (Usage) I'd also install FlashBlock.. that's the 3 extensions I use on Slimjet...

dev

Post by dev »

they are bog standard default settings in every version of chromium Protect you and your device from dangerous sites is just the new name for Enable phishing and malware protection' which has been removed from slimjet, chrome etc etc and lets be honest if you're on the web in any browser some data is going to google, get a vpn then yeah great till i switch on my android phone lol

parityis

Post by parityis »

dev wrote:they are bog standard default settings in every version of chromium Protect you and your device from dangerous sites is just the new name for Enable phishing and malware protection' which has been removed from slimjet, chrome etc etc and lets be honest if you're on the web in any browser some data is going to google, get a vpn then yeah great till i switch on my android phone lol
can you not use a VPN on your android smartphone?, anyway, what's wrong with Apple?....I suppose they don't make it any easier to 'opt-out' either.
////*** I used to use MS windows, then I made the switch. Now I always have hair on my head. ***////

dev

Post by dev »

Just the nature of the beast isn't it , microsoft have gone down the same route first with its xbox 1 camera and its monitoring which fell flat in their faces and now with its telemetry/spyware being sent back through windows 10 / 7 but the average user on the internet hasn't got a lot to worry about if data gets sent back to whatever big corporation its not going to affect their lives in any big way , you're already in the "system" the minute you're born in someway. The minute someone posts on here its being indexed by all the bots you see on here the same as most forums, there is a lot of scaremongering on the web about who what is tracking you written by people who really couldn't give a rats ass about the individuals reading them they just want their blog to blow up and get the hits to make money which mostly paid for by the companies they are telling you are bad. Take WOT web of trust the add on recommended in a post here the company has partnered with Facebook, hpHosts, LegitScript, Mail.ru, Panda Security, Phishtank, GlobalSign and TRUSTe and according to the company information the WOT software computes the measure of trust the rating users have in websites, combined with data from, among others, Google Safe Browsing.

parityis

Post by parityis »

you're already in the "system" the minute you're born in someway
- What a cynical view of the world.

Anyway, I am in the process of switching to TOR. There are some reports that it is not as fast as a "direct" connection, but I am determined to read/learn how to make it work. I reckon even if it's slightly slower, it's a price worth paying - for more privacy.

dev

Post by dev »

parityis wrote:

Anyway, I am in the process of switching to TOR. There are some reports that it is not as fast as a "direct" connection, but I am determined to read/learn how to make it work. I reckon even if it's slightly slower, it's a price worth paying - for more privacy.
Not cynical just fact, registration of birth for one :)

Hold off from tor if you want a less complicated way to be hidden as firefox going to incorporate tor privacy settings as the tor browser is built off the firefox esr http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/04/tor-pr ... o-firefox/

parityis

Post by parityis »

dev wrote:
parityis wrote:

Not cynical just fact, registration of birth for one :)

Hold off from tor if you want a less complicated way to be hidden as firefox going to incorporate tor privacy settings as the tor browser is built off the firefox esr http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/04/tor-pr ... o-firefox/

I get your point..It's just that the post was about sending data to google without the user's consent..

It has somehow become a post about registering a persons birth. Google dosen't provide Education for kids, healthcare for the sick, build train stations/airports. Next thing, you will be arguing that as a new born we don't consent to our birth being registered. ridiculous.
...want a less complicated way...
Personally love complexity. However, I think sometimes complexity is bad for certain things. e.g. financial products. When they are intentionally made complicated to take advantage of people that don't understand them.

dev

Post by dev »

you've took things i've said in the wrong way, i answered your first point and then in other posts pointed out that it really doesn't matter what you do nowadays towards privacy whether in real life or on the internet you're just a number and have no real privacy at all. Who cares really unless you're up to no good on the internet if data gets passed back to whomever.
As to google doesn't provide kids education ...Really ? now are you're sure on that as to me any kid that poses or searches a question on most search engines (all powered by google results) and gets a answers is learning something and big corporations don't provide any thing to a economy of a country that leads to health care for the sick, build train stations/airports do they lol
Anyhow good luck on your quest for anonymity on the web

parityis

Post by parityis »

I see that you are a regular user of this forum and that you are concerned about losing face. So its understandable to come up with irrelevant facts. However, I read (in another forum) that 'saving face' is a dispicable character flaw and I happen to agree with this. You should let the stronger argument win.
..i answered your first point...
really, you've just repeated what I knew already.
...you're just a number and have no real privacy at all..
this makes no sense...if you are just a number you WOULD have privacy. Anyway, you were talking about Birth Ciertificates, where you are NOT a number, but an actual person. You are not comparing apples with apples.
...Really ? now are you're sure on that as to me any kid that poses or searches a question on most search engines (all powered by google results) and gets a answers is learning something...
Most search engines (all powered by google results) - NOT TRUE. most search engines (all powered by google results). read this again and see if it makes sense to you, after all YOU wrote it. hint: you've used MOST then said ALL. in maths 6/8 as a fraction dosen't equal 8/8 or 1.

kids learn most of their education at schools and from family. This includes learning their language or languages (some parents may be multilingual and schools may teach second/third languages). Anyhow, their are many other search engines not just google. eg: Bing, Yahoo etc. I wouldn't shout too much about how google provides education, most of the results cannot be relied upon concretely for educational purposes unless the source can be verified.

Healthcare for the sick - ultimate responsibility lies with the government, not big corporations. Big corporations are responsible for some of the worst attrocities (try searching for 'Bhopal disaster'). Governments have also caused attrocities but they have the citizens consent to govern, and the attrocities are done in the name of 'the people', in performing the act of 'governing'. This is how come we need a strong leash for big corporations (and an equally strong one for governments LOL )
Who cares really unless you're up to no good on the internet if data gets passed back to whomever.
If you don't care, you should send me the passwords to all your email addresses. Let me go through all your email. After all, you said you don't care.
Anyhow good luck on your quest for anonymity on the web
I think you know a little bit more about me than you are legally entitled to know (after all we've never met before). do you have a warrant?, nope. Will you be prosecuted?. Doubt it. "anonymity on the web"? - Read the original post. The post is about passing data to google. Also, What has luck got to do with it?, if I don't consent to it, I turn off the setting, I am saying slimjet should make users aware of it. "good luck" is something people say out of habit, if there ever was an Empty vessel phrase, that is it.

Try not to reduce everything to a good/bad (there are grey-areas), ugly/beautiful distinction, and you will start to appreciate the world in its true wonder.