Problems + Requests/Suggestions

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
highstream

Problems + Requests/Suggestions

Post by highstream »

I'm impressed with much of Slimjet, especially its speed. After spending most of a week with it on and off, I've encountered the following problems and have some suggestions (Win 8.1 x64).

Speed Dial:
- Why the 10-row limit? My Opera SD has about 100 thumbnails in rows of 6
- As number of thumbnails per row are added, they are not scaling to the window size but going off the window to the right, requiring scrolling
- Thumbnail site graphics are not holding here between sessions. Result of using Ccleaner? (tho no mention of Slimjet in CC)?
- Identifying text could use one to three more letters and ditch the dots; four is not enough (e.g., Dail... vs. DailyB, Pau... vs. Paul or Paul's)
- Smaller thumbnails, less wasted space, would allow more to be seen on each screen
- Does Google search box really need to be top center? Taking away valuable thumbnail space.

Tab Placement: Make tab placement a user option. Most of my work is at the bottom of the screen, where taskbar and other controls are.

Address Bar: Would be helpful to make or allow placement of Home, Print and Menu icons on the left, so main operations are consolidated

Ad blocker: It didn't block two-part ad (sponsored) a little down the center of page at talkingpointsmemo.com session to session. Had to install my favorite, AdBlock for Chrome. Given quality blockers available for Chrome, I wonder if a built in ad blocker is necessary.

Recently visited sites: I like how Opera 12 (and earlier) handled it, with a button at the bottom right of the screen. More efficient than having to go up top to the Menu and slide down to the Menu item.

Print scaling (viewable): Absolute need for it already discussed in another thread.

Search drop down: Ones added are not appearing in the list.

Thanks,

highstream

Re: Problems + Requests/Suggestions

Post by highstream »

Another idea: "Silent Tab" - Vivaldi just added its first implementation of this feature, which puts a speaker icon on a tab where the page has audio so that it can be turned off. Even better would be to make it a setting, so that it can be turned off by default and listening becomes a user opt in. I lost track long ago of how many times I've complained to Yahoo, ESPN and others about audio (and video) playing by default on a page. It's really rude and obnoxious. It's even worse for people at work or around others, where default audio can draw unwanted attention - and worse.

highstream

Post by highstream »

More Speed Dial: From a users standpoint, it is much easier to move thumbnails (tabs) around manually than the current setup which requires having to use a separate box with a long list.

highstream

Re: Problems + Requests/Suggestions (esp. Speed Dial)

Post by highstream »

To add to the Speed Dial suggestions:
- be nice if images loaded within the thumbnails; right now here they are all white.
- large parts of the blank areas in the thumbnails don't respond to clicks to open, i.e., only the center responds; is that necessary?

I noticed last night some thumbnails had been added, ones for sites I'd visited but wouldn't have added myself. Could that have happened? I wasn't aware that SJ was doing that, so will watch to see what's up with that (if anything).

LimboSlam

Post by LimboSlam »

highstream wrote:.......Another idea: "Silent Tab......"
This is already supported, just not accessible in an easily way.

1.) Go to chrome://flags in a new tab
2.) Search for the ‘Enable tab audio muting UI control’ flag (use find for faster results, Ctrl+F)
3.) Hit the ‘Enable’ link
4.) Relaunch Chrome when prompted

highstream

Post by highstream »

Thanks, Limbo. I'll have to take a look at that list for other ideas. Are there other lists?

josegimcam

Post by josegimcam »

I would add to highstream suggestions an opera 12 feature that has dissapeared, from opera and other browsers, it´s the possibility to hide in speed dial the add button [+] so you can have a clean speed dial, e.g. to put your favorite photo.

josegimcam

Post by josegimcam »

If you go to http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.10/en/speeddial.html you´ll see what I mean. Vivaldi has it but the last I checked doesn´t work.

highstream : "Does Google search box really need to be top center? Taking away valuable thumbnail space."

Opera has a way to remove it:

opera://settings settings and click outside box

up arrow twice down arrow twice left arrow right arrow left arrow right arrow b a

highstream

Post by highstream »

Re Opera new: Yeah, the Konami code. I thought they had done away with that need at some point, but I see not. But it doesn't do much good when the thumbnails are huge and don't scale to window size. Nothing against the switchover in Opera's engine, just that the mentality that created Opera has not carried on with it. Which is why we now have Vivaldi, which has the same SD thumbnail problem, and perhaps Slimjet, although I don't know its origins.

Wintings

Post by Wintings »

Yes, I strongly support the suggestion that Slimjet should give the user the option to decide where to place the tabs. I prefer to have my tabs at the bottom of the page and it is only the lack of this feature that is keeping me from making Slimjet my default browser.