Lost my extensions and opened tabs in slimjet portable, after OS reinstall

Slimjet bug reports
avada000

Lost my extensions and opened tabs in slimjet portable, after OS reinstall

Post by avada000 »

Hi!

I changed nothing, I didn't touch the slimjet folder
Curiously my theme and bookmarks are as I left them, but all the extensions disappeared.

This is not worthy of a portable application. Really disappointing.

Tweakerz

Re: Lost my extensions and opened tabs in slimjet portable, after OS reinstall

Post by Tweakerz »

I imagine people will want/need more info.

You said you changed nothing but your title says you did an OS reinstall so that's a major change. If you are only trying to say you did nothing with the portable folder than that makes more sense. I LOVE using portable apps but I ran into issues with Slimjet portable but had no issues with the installed version. I wonder if even though it is portable if maybe something actually does get written to the AppData folder perhaps. Anyway, just wanted to share that I found the installed version did better than the portable and I wanted to mention people that will try to help might require more details.

avada000

Post by avada000 »

Tweakerz wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm
You said you changed nothing but your title says you did an OS reinstall so that's a major change.
Not when considering a portable instance. It should even handle moves between different Windows versions, copying on a different drive with a different path. Here it stayed on the same drive and same path sem OS (Win8.1)
Tweakerz wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm
Anyway, just wanted to share that I found the installed version did better than the portable
By what measure does it do better?

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

I agree it should not be an issue with a portable app I was only saying in some instances with some portable programs sadly things do not always work as they should and not everything stays in the folder the way one would expect. I am not specifically saying it happens with Slimjet just that it might be a possibility to consider.

When I first tried Slimjet I used the portable version and if I recall correctly I was having some problems with extensions working properly and there was another irritation I don't recall but something did not work properly in addition to an extension. I decided to install Slimjet and set things up the same way and when I did that the couple problems I had been experiencing no longer presented themselves any longer.

I wish I could recall the specifics and better offer to help but I thought maybe I would mention what I did recall figuring maybe something along the same lines was happening to you.

avada000

Post by avada000 »

Can anyone tell, me where to search for my extensions in the saved slimjet portable folder?
Also, how can I identify the addons from the files? So that I can re-install them...

avada000

Post by avada000 »

I checked out the files. The extensions are there in User Data\Default\Extensions\, but are erased after I start the browser.

So Slimjet is not portable to any degree. The portable version is a sham.

BTW, how do I hide slimjet addon icons, or disable them alltogether? I don't think I had them on the toolbar, but right now I can't find a way to remove them.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

avada000 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 am
I checked out the files. The extensions are there in User Data\Default\Extensions\, but are erased after I start the browser.

So Slimjet is not portable to any degree. The portable version is a sham.

BTW, how do I hide slimjet addon icons, or disable them alltogether? I don't think I had them on the toolbar, but right now I can't find a way to remove them.
I feel like this validates some of what I was saying about it being "portable" and am glad someone else feels the same. (I'm not calling out SJ only as some other portable apps don't seem fully portable either).

As for add-ons or extensions, I right-click and choose to "Hide in Slimjet menu" to hide or there is a remove option to uninstall them but am not 100% sure that is what will accomplish what you are asking.

Hopefully, that's helpful, if not my apologies.

avada000

Post by avada000 »

Tweakerz wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm
As for add-ons or extensions, I right-click and choose to "Hide in Slimjet menu" to hide or there is a remove option to uninstall them but am not 100% sure that is what will accomplish what you are asking.
Sadly, it looks like it doesn't work for built-in extensions such as that amazon or ebay stuff.

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

avada000 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 am
Tweakerz wrote:
Sadly, it looks like it doesn't work for built-in extensions such as that amazon or ebay stuff.
Odd, so if you go to the settings menu (gear icon) and then More Tools and then Extensions you are also unable to remove these there as well?

I stopped using the portable version due to a few issues I was having at the time and opted for the installed version (no issues luckily) but I have nothing from Amazon or eBay here.

Sorry that I couldn't help, maybe someone else will be able to offer better suggestions.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

avada000 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:58 am
Tweakerz wrote:
The Icons for ebay and amazon are not representing extensions. They are part of the toolbar icon set.

Extension Icons and Toolbar Icons are side by side at the upper right. Extensions can be managed by a right click. Toolbar Icons require that you open the window designed for managing them. If your little arrow captioned More Toolbar buttons is visible just click it and select Customize toolbar... if the little arrow is not visible go to the settings menu and search for toolbar, then under Appearance click the Customize toolbar button.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11