New instance when opening URL via external link

Asking questions regarding how to use Slimjet.
Tweakerz

New instance when opening URL via external link

Post by Tweakerz »

As the title states whenever clicking a URL via an external program rather than a new tab being opened an entirely new instance of Slimjet is started. I have looked for tab and link related settings in the options and am not seeing anything that has changed this behavior. I searched the forum and have been unable to locate information that remedies this situation so I turn to the community for advice.

Thanks.

sleeper10

Re: New instance when opening URL via external link

Post by sleeper10 »

What happens if you right click on the url, then select "Open link in new tab' :?:

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

sleeper10 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 pm
What happens if you right click on the url, then select "Open link in new tab' :?:
I'm opening from an external source, not within the browser.

If I have a URL in a text file or in a program that is NOT the browser (external) this is when the problem occurs.

Sorry if I was not clear enough initially and thanks for replying.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

Try in settings, Repair Browser Registry Settings, and restart
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

oftentired wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:36 am
Try in settings, Repair Browser Registry Settings, and restart
Brand new install so feeling doubtful too much has caused an issue but possibly since I copied from the portable version my user data because I created a lot of speed dial entries and other customizations which I was NOT going to spend all that time redoing over. Originally I was using portable but it was acting weirdly as well but in a different way. I'd pin it to the taskbar which worked fine but when I clicked on it instead of opening and making that pinned icon the active one it'd open another instance (so you see the icon duplicated on the taskbar to the right of the pinned icons) so I switched to the installed version and now it works fine in that regard.

So I am willing to try your suggestion but first I'd like to know what exactly that does because I'd rather not redo things and was not sure if it resets anything. If that were the case I'd just copy and paste the URLs from the external programs as much as that is annoying it beats resetting things. There is no indication what happens when I searched the online help (user manual I guess it amounts to) so it is unclear what exactly this "repair" will do to the browser.

Thanks again, you're pretty on top of things around here I see. 8-)

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

It will not change your user data. It re-applies the registry information regarding the installation as if you are doing a re-installation.

However, you should back up your user data as my next suggestion is going to be to perform an uninstall (keeping the user data) and re-installing from a fresh download.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

Tweakerz

Post by Tweakerz »

oftentired wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 am
It will not change your user data. It re-applies the registry information regarding the installation as if you are doing a re-installation.

However, you should back up your user data as my next suggestion is going to be to perform an uninstall (keeping the user data) and re-installing from a fresh download.
That did it, thank you very much. I considered trying it but I could not locate info on what exactly it would do, your explanation put that at ease and the repair seems to have made it open properly.