Login problems

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
donaldduck

Re: Login problems

Post by donaldduck »

Oh no I don't even want to hear about Thunderbird. I tried it out a number of years ago and somehow it permanently erased all the emails I had been saving.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

Firefox makes me sign in to everything all over again each time. I have a few more browsers to try out. Meanwhile Slimjet is still my default. I'm trying out the Vivaldi browser now. It's got a nice old fashioned bookmark sidebar and I can drag and drop new links into it and it opens and closes with a click on the left margin just like good old Opera used to do.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

donaldduck wrote:Oh no I don't even want to hear about Thunderbird. I tried it out a number of years ago and somehow it permanently erased all the emails I had been saving.
In my opinion, RBTB2605, is spot on with his advice to use Thunderbird. I had to switch from OE to another email program when the OS forced it. Thunderbird has a small cliff to scale when first getting used to it and understanding it. They have made some effort to improve that learning curve, but it is still mostly there. I've been using it for a number of years now.

After dealing with the learning curve, it is decent and safe free email program to use with a very good reputation. It also performs incremental or full backups of your active emails at your request or on a schedule. I have mine set to incremental backup daily to a WD USB Passport harddrive, so if Thunderbird craps or my main system craps, I've got the backup to rely on. If I have to restore from the backup, I may lose a few emails between backups, but nothing so tragic as the entire archive. To date I have experience zero problems with Thunderbird that were not my own fault.

Does it even need to be said? Working with computers and data, data loss can always be blamed at least 50% (and far more likely 100%) on the user; in other words you should have worked with a copy of your email archive.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

oftentired wrote:
donaldduck wrote:Oh no I don't even want to hear about Thunderbird. I tried it out a number of years ago and somehow it permanently erased all the emails I had been saving.
In my opinion, RBTB2605, is spot on with his advice to use Thunderbird. I had to switch from OE to another email program when the OS forced it. Thunderbird has a small cliff to scale when first getting used to it and understanding it. They have made some effort to improve that learning curve, but it is still mostly there. I've been using it for a number of years now.

After dealing with the learning curve, it is decent and safe free email program to use with a very good reputation. It also performs incremental or full backups of your active emails at your request or on a schedule. I have mine set to incremental backup daily to a WD USB Passport harddrive, so if Thunderbird craps or my main system craps, I've got the backup to rely on. If I have to restore from the backup, I may lose a few emails between backups, but nothing so tragic as the entire archive. To date I have experience zero problems with Thunderbird that were not my own fault.

Does it even need to be said? Working with computers and data, data loss can always be blamed at least 50% (and far more likely 100%) on the user; in other words you should have worked with a copy of your email archive.
Thanks oftentired. I have been using Thunderbird for a long time myself and as I also mentioned, I use IMAP settings on all of my accounts. Once set up properly it is great. Thunderbird is quite "smart" too in the way that it knows what settings to use for many different domains. You just need to out in your name and e mail address and password and it does the rest. Quite nice. In fact, it just updated today to 45.6 version.

I agree about data loss. There are a couple of programs that I use to help me backup periodically. I allow Google to save my bookmarks and extensions for me and that helps when I install Slimjet and log in to my Google account. LOL But also, my bookmarks are synced with my Chrome browser in my phone too and I like that.

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

oftentired wrote: Does it even need to be said? Working with computers and data, data loss can always be blamed at least 50% (and far more likely 100%) on the user; in other words you should have worked with a copy of your email archive.

I was using yahoo email at the time. I didn't know how to back up the old emails. I still don't other than copying each one individually.

RBTB2605

Post by RBTB2605 »

Here is one program that still works fine with the latest Thunderbird...

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

donaldduck

Post by donaldduck »

I finally updated SJ from 10.0.1 to the latest 12, and this time the update went smoothly, tho I could not do it by going to Help Center > Check Update. That didn't work. Instead I downloaded a new SJ and put it in a different place in case I wanted to return to the 10, since the last time I tried to update to 11 it messed up SJ. This seems to have gone totally smoothly and everything is still set up the same and my bookmarks are there AND now I can sign on to my Outlook email without having to use Firefox especially for that purpose!