Please add newer certificates on XP version

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
fggh22hg

Please add newer certificates on XP version

Post by fggh22hg »

A lot of websites do not open because the XP version of slimjet does not have many newer certificates. On firefox on XP, every website opens.

Please add at least some certificates on the XP version of slimjet.

Thank you very much, and thanks for this brilliant browser

bksening

Re: Please add newer certificates on XP version

Post by bksening »

All Chromium based browsers, including Slimjet, using the internet settings and encryption library on the computer they run on.

Unfortunately, modern website certificates will have problems for old Slimjet and IE browsers running on Windows XP SP2 and older, because WinXP SP2's native encryption library does not support SHA-256 encryption.

Such websites work in Firefox because Firefox includes its own certificate verification library which does handle SHA-256 certificates.

fggh22hg

Post by fggh22hg »

bksening wrote:All Chromium based browsers, including Slimjet, using the internet settings and encryption library on the computer they run on.

Unfortunately, modern website certificates will have problems for old Slimjet and IE browsers running on Windows XP SP2 and older, because WinXP SP2's native encryption library does not support SHA-256 encryption.

Such websites work in Firefox because Firefox includes its own certificate verification library which does handle SHA-256 certificates.
Thanks for the info. If they could find a way around it following the firefox pattern or some other way, and add the SHA-256 certificates, it would be great.

bksening

Post by bksening »

Or just upgrade to WinXP SP3. Or even better, upgrade to an actually supported OS.

NewChrissy

Post by NewChrissy »

WinXP is the most recent full-featured operating system from Microsoft. All versions of Windows released after XP have had many important features disabled/removed. And there are useful device drivers that are not available in Windows versions after XP. They call it upgrading but recent versions of Windows are actually downgrades.

If you want to run ALL hardware & software supported by Windows, use WinXP.

Buzzed Lightyear

Post by Buzzed Lightyear »

NewChrissy wrote:WinXP is the most recent full-featured operating system from Microsoft. All versions of Windows released after XP have had many important features disabled/removed. And there are useful device drivers that are not available in Windows versions after XP. They call it upgrading but recent versions of Windows are actually downgrades.

If you want to run ALL hardware & software supported by Windows, use WinXP.
I respectfully disagree. Windows 7 (Professional and Ultimate) are genuine upgrades from Windows XP. To say that 7 isn't a "full-featured" operating system is to say the you've never used Windows 7 in your entire life. For example, the Control Panel in Windows 7 is far more extensive than the Control Panel in XP. You can have greater control over your computer using Windows 7 than you can with XP.

Now, if you want to argue that Windows 8 and 10 are downgrades, I fully agree with you. Right now, almost every single large enterprise uses Windows 7. I've yet to see any companies use 8, and I've only seen one company use Windows 10 (and it was a small business). It will be interesting to see what happens when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7. I wonder if that will be the tipping point to where Microsoft finally offers a subscription update service in which businesses who want to continue using 7 can pay a subscription fee to do so.

Pishraft

Post by Pishraft »

if xp version accept "invalid certificate" Your problem will also be solved:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1520

Under these conditions, you can open the sites but with Red SSL !

fggh22hg

Post by fggh22hg »

bksening wrote:Or just upgrade to WinXP SP3. Or even better, upgrade to an actually supported OS.
I am on XP SP3 itself. Many websites do not open on this OS.