google login doesn't work

General discussion about Slimjet, or other issues related to web browser in general.
ClareLondon

google login doesn't work

Post by ClareLondon »

Hi people

Very much hoping you can help.

I run a few different slimjet browsers with customised ICOs which display in the taskbar, all in separate folders. Over the last few days I have stopped being able to log in to any of the google accounts in all of the browsers. I submit the correct password, but an error message reads "SORRY, THERE IS AN ERROR". Multiple attempts don't work.

Some of my google accounts I'm already logged-in to. But all these display in a pick box with a message: Signed in as browsers.trh@gmail.com. Sign in again to start sync Sign in When I try to sign in again, the log-in fails and I'm then locked out of the account.

NEW GGOGLE ACCOUNT
I can set up a new account, it displays the new account on screen, but immediately afterwards it tells me there's an error and I can't sign in.

BUT ALL FINE ON LAPTOP.
I've logged into different google accounts using Slimjet on my laptop - all fine. I've also set up a new account on my laptop without problems, using the latest Slimjet build.

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME INSIGHT into why my main PC, using Windows 10, has suddenly stopped letting me sign in to any of my google accounts.

Thanks!

oftentired

Re: google login doesn't work

Post by oftentired »

delete all of your google cookies and see if that helps
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ClareLondon

Post by ClareLondon »

oftentired wrote:delete all of your google cookies and see if that helps
Thanks for your suggestion. I got my hopes up there. Sadly, it didn't work. I've tried it on a couple of browsers.

(a) when the email address displays in settings it's in a pink box,with the message:
Signed in as (email address). Sign in again to start sync. Sign In.

(b) I click sign in. The message now reads, You were signed out of your google account. Sign in again to continue.

(c) I click NEXT. It displays the gmail account with a line to fill in the password.

(d) I fill in the password.

(e) Message reads: Error. Sorry, there seems to be a problem. Please try again.

Any other ideas??? Maybe there's a piece of software that might troubleshoot? This is v. worrying for me. It's holding up my work big time.

Thanks for trying.

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

do you have to be signed in constantly?

Be sure you have signed out from all browsers before deleting the cookies. Use something alongside Slimjet kill the cookies such as CCleaner.

If you do not require to be signed in constantly, try setting up your schedule so that you sign in with just one instance and try rotating your instances that are signed in, perhaps one browser instance each day or each half day. Whatever works for your needs.

Another thing you might try is using the different Chrome forks for your browser instances. They almost all sign into the google cloud. And there are a lot of them.
For those of you who wear aluminum foil hats, the voices lie, don't believe them!

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ClareLondon

Post by ClareLondon »

oftentired wrote:do you have to be signed in constantly?

Be sure you have signed out from all browsers before deleting the cookies. Use something alongside Slimjet kill the cookies such as CCleaner.

If you do not require to be signed in constantly, try setting up your schedule so that you sign in with just one instance and try rotating your instances that are signed in, perhaps one browser instance each day or each half day. Whatever works for your needs.

Another thing you might try is using the different Chrome forks for your browser instances. They almost all sign into the google cloud. And there are a lot of them.
I'm not signed in constantly to any of the browsers. Basically what I have done is set up dozens of them, all with different customised icos which display in the taskbar. I might have open 2 or 3 of any of the browers at any one time.

I'm curious about the cookies. I cleared them from 2 browsers and I wonder how one knows if they are or are not actually cleared out and if that indeed is the issue, here? I have been running Windows 10 with all these customised browsers for years and years and have never not been able to sign in to the google accounts. AND I have never, ever gone to the trouble of clearing out the cookies. Never bothered to do that, not once, in my entire life probably! :-) So this is a startling situation to me. You seem to be suggesting that it is the cookies that is causing this and that just clearing them using the normal way might not have done it. I could try CCleaner but as clearing the cookies hasn't worked, twice, I wonder if that is the cause?

But - given that when I tried to log in to browsers on my laptop and din't have the issue, clearly it is something to do with my current PC install. Up until a week ago I didn't have the issue with the browsers, but then some bastard search bar malware came in to the system at which point I simply restored a clean Acronis image of the system from last Autumn. It's since then that I've had the issue - but - I have never had the issue, ever, not last autumn, not ever. So the version of the system I imaged last Autumn was clean and all the google log-ins worked.

By the way, what is a Chrome fork?

I wonder if Google provide any kind of troubleshooting program for this kind of issue?

ClareLondon

Post by ClareLondon »

Further experimentation...

CHROME browser works.

SLIMJET browser works when logging in to browsers still on version 11.2.

I can't log into ANY browsers which I've updated to 14.0.16.0.

Unfortunately, I spent 5 hours doing that to my dozens of browsers on Sunday when I restored my system.

ClareLondon

Post by ClareLondon »

However, that can't be the full story yet, because I used the latest version on the laptop and it all worked fine.

On my PC, the latest version doesn't work. Earlier versions I haven't yet updated do work.

Obviously I need to do more detective work. Ach!

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

my bad, I got the impression you were wanting to be logged in.

OK if not cookies than it has something perhaps to do with a problem in the user profile. Perhaps jumping up from ver 11 to 14 has caused a problem there?

You can try this on one of your browsers that is not working right.

Export everything that you can export (from the Organize Menu of the Bookmarks manager) and manually save a copy of the Forms folder from the user profile associated with that browser if you use Quickfill.

Then uninstall and don't keep the data and do a fresh install. Then import your stuff. If you use Quickfill you need to manually copy the Forms folder to your new install profile location.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11

ClareLondon

Post by ClareLondon »

Hello

Thanks for your input. Really appreciated.

Since last posting, I've restored last autumn's image files. Everything works fine and I'm now clear as to what caused the problem. It was Malwarebytes. I put a trial on a few days ago when some browser malware suddenly started appearing. The Malwarebyte trial immediately detected 5 bits of malware (where Windows Defender had not). And all was well - or so I thought.

But then I started getting really weird problems with Slimjet that I'd never seen before. Suddenly browsers which had worked for 4 years suddenly failing completely with critical faults. That happened 4 times in an afternoon. So I got rid of Malwarebytes off my system. The Google logins weren't working but stupidly I didn't connect that to the earlier problems. I only got on the right trail at last a few hours ago when googling Chrome help and noticed a comment about checking virus programmes in case there was a conflict. Then I suddenly remembered what had happened days before. Then I searched in RegEdit to see if there were any program traces left and discovered, to my horror, that the program was still installed. So I uninstalled it properly, but the logins still weren't working.

So then I thought, OK, I've had no problem on the laptop, but there was never this version of Malwarebytes on that - so it seemed obvious that MWB had got some code somewhere on my PC which was interfering. So now I'm on a clean system again from last autumn and everything is normal. But boy oh boy. I never would have thought for a second that something as respectable as Malwarebytes could cause such a huge conflict. It's cost me days of my time.

Well - at least I know now. Thanks for being there. It ALWAYS helps if one does not feel isolated in these situations, to keep the panic a bit at bay.

I also took an image of the system I've been working on over the last few days, before restoring the older one, so I can put that back on and take a look at your idea. Thanks for that. Nice of you to be there.

X

oftentired

Post by oftentired »

I'm glad you've resolved the issue. I'll keep MBAM in mind when sudden unexpected problems happen.

32 Bit SJ on Win 11